Sunday, January 31, 2010

All -Star Basketball game Stalkers,,,definitely not the bueno!

Dear Korea,

I know I find many things about you magical and endearing... however let's take a moment and talk about Korean stalkers. Yesterday a few friends of mine and I went to an " All-Star" Basketball game in Seoul yesterday. In true Korean fashion , the game was lackluster . I was entertained by the cheerleaders and the half time extravaganza consisted of strangee adjuma relays, a dancing spectacle by various team mascots finished off by opera singing b ya woman who I think was a man, dressed in a sparkly tube dress, silver metallic tights, and what seemed to be a blinged out cape with a train. Yes... it was that ridiculous. Right before half time a group of younger Korean men sat in the row in front of us. We smiled... well I smiled, said hi and they sat down. The odd fellow on the end glanced back at us a few times, looking unimpressed by our loud disposition as foreigners. He would check his phone periodically throughout the rest of the game and look back at us. " He is not impressed with us" said Kate. Eliana and I agreed. " He's kind of strangee, I think he might be a Korean serial killer " said Kate " Def fits the profile" I murmured. Then came my favorite part of Korean sporting events.... the prizes. The goal is to make as much noise as possible to win edible prizes such as beer, sports drinks, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, and Dominoes Pizzas. So of course me being me... I went hard screaming and doing Korean dances, and wouldnt you know it I won a pizza! Asaaaa....Eliana laughed as I hi-fived Kateuh, " And that's how it's done ladies" I said. So as we sat down and I opened the pizza box ready to share with my friends, our new Korean friend turned around stared me down.. I chuckled and managed to say " would you like a piece?"...without hesitation he bowed and almost snatched the slice from my hand and gobbled it down jail... oops I mean Korean style. The girls and I each ate piece and I shared the rest of the pizza with surrounding patrons. All while eating my piece of pizza my "friend" is eyeballed the piece in my hand.Aishhhh.. Back of my pizza... stalker! As the game ended and everyone filed out the the stadium doors the girls and I sat for a while recalling the ridiculousness, and who still sitting, and staring as us. wtf? He then hovered around our section as if he was waiting for us to leave.  As left the stadium we laughed and said bye. We then made our way towards the metro stop which was a pretty good hike.As we walked we noticed our " friend" bobbing and weaving between the crowd. " Is he following us?" asked Eli.." Ewww.. he's definitely creepy and definitely following us" said Kate " Nooo...he's just making his way towards the metro stop like everyone else!" I said. We neared the metro stop our " friend" let's call him Chin Ho. Chin Ho looked back at us numerous times. Kate pulled us behind a parked van. " See! he's looking for us!" " Oh no!" Eli and I chimed. We darted from behind the van, thinking we had outsmarted Chin Ho "friend turned stalker". To our surprise he scurried down the steps before us. We made our way the train and exhaled sighs of relief for having lost him. This day the trains were not in our favor... while recalling our stalker escapade we missed our stop, we hopped on another train, transferred and 45 minutes later we were on the brown line on our way to dinner in Itaewon. As we sat down in our seats, who but Chin Ho made his way through our car to the next adjoining car and peered at us through the window. " Omg, what a coincidence" said Eli.... ( so Canadian) " Ummm.. noo says Kate we missed our stop, transferred AND missed a train...he DEFINITELY followed us!" " Ugh! don't make eye contact or say hi" I said. Our stop approached he made his way back to our car... Eli said " Bye!" and he as suspected got off at our stop. We double timed it to the escalator. I said  " Yeah he definitely followed us, he just stayed 30 clicks behind...no more talking to strangee Koreans", " Maybe he's a professional tracker" said Eli, "Maybe is is just crazy" Kate laughed. With a concerned look Eli peered back down the escalator, but Chin Ho was no where to be seen. So Korea I will now be war of your seemingly friendly country men. I definitely dont want to end up in someone's kimchi freezer.

Always,
Tiffany

Ps. I am not impressed...where is homeland security when you need them?

No comments:

Post a Comment